Sunday, November 29, 2009

Erica - America

I find the relation between Changez and Erica to be a lot like Changez’s relationship to America. He was only able to make love with Erica if he pretended to be someone he was not, and as for America is he acted like a typical American he found what he considered as home. It was once he started losing Erica, because she wanted that someone he pretended to be for her, that he started to act more like his self and then he began to feel rejected by America because of who he is. Erica symbolizes the America that he cannot have unless he pretends to be who he is not.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you a lot, but I also had the feeling like this was a "true" part of the narrative the character had created, and to make a direct allegorical relationship between all the parties and their respective countries may undermine the narrative a little. Of course, this is from the perspective of my "reader's bias", I guess you could call it, and I like to read things first from a realist perspective, and then go back to see the possible allegories.

    ReplyDelete