Tuesday, November 24, 2009

So I think the "american" to which the narrative of The Reluctant Fundamentalist is addressed poses some interesting questions. For one, if we, as an audience, are to assume that we are this man, what can we assume about Mohsin's intended audience for this novel? The first question that comes into mind for me is Mohsin's nationality. I could buy that he'd be writing for an American audience if he were American, but he's not. He's British. Clearly, he's not writing for a solely British audience. I think that generally, he's writing to 1st world, white countries. But then, why America? Why an American? My initial thought is that perhaps he considers America to be the best representation of the privileged, white world, but then why not make it more general? Why choose to focus so closely on 9/11?

I think this might point to a broader, more global reality that shifted when the twin towers fell that I (maybe) can't appreciate because the event is too close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment