Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sharam

In response to Diane (I think) about the interjections in Reza and Rushdie, I agree that in Rushdie the interjections serve to enhance my engagement with the book, because the authorial voice adds to rather than diminishing the effect. The voice and the story are inseparable, to the point that any attempt to imagine the same story without the authorial presence will be incoherent.

In Reza though, I'm not sure it works the same way. I'm not saying it doesn't, by the way, I actually don't think I can comment in fairness because I did not read the entire novel up to that point. But from what I did read the author's voice wasn't intertwined with the story the way it is in Shame. If it had that effect for you, though, perhaps that's the "point," for lack of a better way to put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment