Friday, December 4, 2009

Colonization as iron chains

A quote that absolutely struck me when I read it was: “Today it was this very Delhi which was being despoiled by a Western race who had no sympathy with India or her sons, thought Mir Nihal. Already they had put the iron chains of slavery round their once unbending necks.”(106) As a Westerner, when you learn about colonization you generally understand that bad comes with good for the culture that is being colonized. However, in our society we generally like to highlight the good, and it is rare, at least in my educational experience, that you get to hear the voices of despair of those being colonized. It struck me even more astounding that the women in this book hated the British as well. They spoke with such disgust about them and my initial reaction was shock because, as a Westerner, I have generally had the idea that women in places like Delhi must be so thrilled with their new opportunities and freedoms. I hadn’t been able to see what those freedoms were actually doing to the personal identity that women already partake in. It throws their whole lives in disarray, on the one hand there is opportunity, on the other it comes at the cost of their families, their faiths, and at times said opportunity may or may not be of real value to them at all.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I have the same idea that women in other parts of the world would do anything to live like me, and sometimes I get so carried away that I assume people of other cultures aspire to be like people in the United States. It is arrogant of me to think this, and you have to remember that people have all kinds of different personal identities, and you have to respect them. Sometimes you forget not to apply your own personal feelings and outlook on life onto other people of different cultures, and it has huge repercussions for the group being affected.

    ReplyDelete