Friday, December 4, 2009

Questions

Why did Mohsin Hamid write this story the way he did? He could have chosen to have Changez talking to a native or a friend, rather than an American who is a stranger to him. He could have told someone he was more familiar with about his experiences in America, but instead it was told to a complete stranger who was an American. There is also the question of what is the significance of the Amercan who is visiting in Pakistan? Is he carrying a gun or is it a business card case? If it is a gun is he there to kill Changez, for what reason? Or if it is a business card case is the American there to represent an impending economic destruction? So many questions, I wish we could have the real answers to them.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have a lot of the same feelings about why he chose this stranger to tell the story to. One of my posts was about that particular thing. As for the ending of the story, I think it was really exciting/kind of out of character with the rest of the story. This juxtaposition was fascinating; if he truly is a con man in this scenario, it goes to show what a massive transformation he's undergone. But it would also really upset me, I think, because whatever amount of "funamentalist" he is, I would have thought through his narrative that he would maintain his integrity.

    And is it just me, or could the metal thing in his jacket pocket be a cigar case? Because I think he seems the type.

    ReplyDelete