Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sufism

I was interested to see that there wasn't a lot of mention of Sufism in these texts (nor about Persian, which is the main language in which the Sufis wrote). I thought that was intriguing, because much of what "educated" Westerners know about Islam is that their Sufist poets were wonderful and widely read. I'm probably getting the exact specificities of this incorrect, but I believe that Rumi is the most widely read poet in translation in English. Something like that. Anyway, I think it's an interesting notion and interesting absence in the works that we've read, although when I think about it, the characters in these novels have been either middle or upper class people, very grounded in the solid world. Sufism isn't for laymen and the wealthy, and I think that plays a part in its exclusion. However, I would have been interested to see some of that ascetic flavor in one or two of the works we read.

No comments:

Post a Comment