Friday, December 4, 2009

Nipple stories

I think I called them that. Thinking about them again, about Manto's nipple fascination, I think it must (like much of his sexual content) be a product of the repression of the society he lived in and his need to expose what has hypocritically been kept hidden. His need to tell the horrible stories of Partition seem to spring from the same source-- the drive to expose what is hidden, or to put it more simply, to tell the truth. I'll sidestep the "and does anything tell the truth ever? booga booga!" foolishness and cite Picasso: "Art is a lie that helps us realize the truth." And I think I read somewhere that art is the most honest of all lies.

1 comment:

  1. I think I missed the point when we discussed in class the need to represent sexuality through child's lens. I know this is different from what you posted but I just want to hear someone explaining this to me again. Why the need to do so? I can probably will reread most of the books we covered in class over the break, just to review what I've learned so far in class, but I doubt that I could find a satisfactory answer for this inquiry though. Manto's short stories (and my copy is missing some that deal with child/sexuality representation), Reza and Chunghtai are good places to explore this.

    ReplyDelete