Friday, December 4, 2009

More on "Sunlight on A Broken Column"

I thought it would be interesting to explore some of the themes in “Sunlight on a Broken Column.” Throughout the novel, there are recurring themes about family, rebellion, and social and political change (as a result of Partition). Many of the characters in the book are rebelling against the new political powers that threaten the world they live in today. There are also themes about the changing Muslim world as a result of all the political influence on India. My favorite theme is one about division, the division of land and people, and the need to choose sides. I think the book is called “Sunlight on a Broken Column” because India represents the broken column after Partition, but the light symbolizes that there is hope for the broken nation.

1 comment:

  1. Nice thoughts! I would say that partition is one of my favorite themes to read about in this class. No body talks about partition better than Manto in my opinion. Sunlight is not my top rank for the semester. I don't want to list the reasons again since I have done it twice on the blog.

    ReplyDelete