Thursday, December 3, 2009

Jim

Jim seemed as though he had a position that, like Erica's, transcended Changez's later view of America. I thought Changez's treatment of Jim's character in his narrative was intriguing; I wanted to know who Jim truly was to him. Changez sets Jim apart from the rest of the crew at Underwood Sampson and seems to align Jim with himself, even though Jim is one of the most important people at the company. I still haven't managed to drag too much meaning out of his treatment of Jim, but I'd be interested to go back and do a more careful reading/study of Jim's persona and Changez's narrative language towards him.

2 comments:

  1. We learned in class that Jim stood for Gatsby, one point I missed when reading this book. We will discuss more about him on the last day I think. So far, some have said that he appeared to fit in while still retaining an aloofness and observant eye so that he could step back and note the others' psyche and actions (Changez's). Jim has somehow mastered the American dream Changez was chasing and never achieved. Cool huh? What about Wainwright? Should we compare changez and wainwright? both immigrants, have both had the same success in America? Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shayda, I think you opened up an interesting line of inquiry when you said "changez's narrative language" rather than Mohsin's narrative language...Essentially Mohsin is the one who has crafted the "narrative language."

    There are such interesting things in this novel about the nature of writing and of story telling...the multi-layered nature of it, etc. I'd have to really do some thinking to figure it out though. Thinking that I'm not fully capable of at this moment...

    ReplyDelete