Friday, December 4, 2009

Pan and Hookah

I found it interesting in Ruswa’s Umrao Jan Ada that “pan” constantly showed up time and time again throughout the novel. In the glossary at the back, the book describes pan as “betel-leaf, usually filled with areca nuts, lime, catechu and other ingredients, which is folded into a triangular shape and offered to guests.” And yes, it was true that every time Umrao, or anyone for that matter, encountered a guest, the pan and the hookah were immediately brought out. The hookah is another thing that constantly shows up in the book. Pan and hookah are essential to the social community throughout the book, and in Islamic culture.

1 comment:

  1. I think Vietnamese people chew something to dye their teeth. I am nor sure if that something is actually pan, but it is served in social situations also. I hope this aspect of my culture does not die out as young people are becoming more westernized than ever. Yet it is so ridiculous to think that anyone would dye their teeth black today. I don't know why I'm using this space to ramble about something so unrelated to this class

    ReplyDelete