Friday, December 4, 2009

Manto - The nipple stories

I remember someone in class naming them that. I enjoyed Manto's stories very much. I didn't question what's with the obsession with nipples, though I should, so now I'm wondering why.
I picked up the book not expecting the stories to go where they went. I've never had this level of exposure in an Asian novel (not that I've read very many), but it was a pleasant surprise. A Lump of Cold Flesh was a good one (I had another version, your translation might be a little different). 

"Ishar Singh smiled in his moustache. "I'll play the tyrant today," he said and started being cruel to her. He chewed her upper lips, bit her earlobe, ......" 

Does someone want to comment on his impotence after attempting to rape the dead girl (unknowingly)? I like these stories for what they are. I'm not very familiar with realist writings....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment